History

Picture of Harry
Harry Zaglin

Harry Zaglin founded the Greenville Army – Navy store over 50 years ago making it one of the oldest businesses still operating in the city. It is located at 660 S. Main St. in Greenville’s historic West End. The warehouse located at 702 – 708 S. Main St. are reportedly in the oldest commercial buildings still in use in the city, having been built in 1869 or 1872 depending on which history one subscribes to. Supposedly General Wade Hampton spoke upstairs at a meeting of the SC Democratic Party sometimes prior to the end of the Civil War. The Army Store building was constructed about 1890.

army store
Harry outside the store 1988

The store has served some three generations of Greenvillians. It is a lot of fun when a grandparent, a parent and a child come in the store where very little has changed over the last half century. The store is an eclectic mix of retail store, museum, and meeting place. We have remained a true “surplus” store with a mix of new and used military, outdoor, and camping goods as-well-as foam rubber cut to size and many other unusual items.

Picture of Harry
Harry and Jeff Zaglin

The current owner Jeff Zaglin is a second-generation “surpie” and son of the founder. Jeff, having grown up in the West End has seen a lot of changes in the neighborhood, especially in the last 5 years. Many new and exciting developments are happening in the revitalized West End as it has become one of the hottest real estate areas in the city due to its proximity to the Reedy River, and other desirable areas of the city.

 

site design by Duwan